Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Two days, two more runs

Before I get to my Monday and Tuesday runs,  I want to go over a few of my goals as I go forward.  If you check my running profile (link on the sidebar), you can check out my current goals.  Right now I have an official goal of running ten miles this week.  As far as the blog goes, I want to start taking pictures of historical places, New Orleans landmarks, and other fun things I run across.  I am trying to be able to insert my interactive running routes here, but it doesn't seem to be working.  Now on to the runs.

I set my alarm for 5:30 Monday so I could wake up and get in a nice run before work.  Well my body took offense to that and I overslept.  No problem, I went for a run after work.  Since I wanted get all of this set up last night, I decided to grab Beau, he's my awesome dog in case you were wondering, and just do an easy lap and a half around the apartment.


View 7/30/2012 Run in a larger map

This is a very easy run with good even sidewalks and only one street to cross.   Beau decided he wanted to stop running and play with every dog, person, car, and patch of grass we passed.  Not sure if he is ready for any long runs, but I will run with him on my short/tired days.  I took this picture after our first run.  I think its safe to say we were both hot and tired.


This morning I actually woke up in time for a nice run before a long day of accounting.  I decided to give Beau a break and struck out on my own.  I really didn't have a plan on where I wanted to run, so I just started towards Magazine Street.  At this hour, its not too hot and the traffic isn't bad.  The sidewalks on this route are consistent and flat.  On my run, I saw four other early bird runners and several dogs out for a walk.

View Run 7/31/2012 in a larger map

As I started down Magazine, I noticed an old church peeking out from a block back so I ran to it.  I snagged this picture and went on my way.  Now I am no New Orleans historian, but I am pretty good at using the internet machine.  The church is St. Mary's Assumption Catholic Church.  It was built back in 1860 for the growing German catholic population.  It has (barely) survived both Hurricanes Betsy and Katrina.  Its also noteworthy as the home of the shrine honoring Blessed Fr. Seelos who was the pastor of church.  

I decided it would be best to take Jackson down to St. Charles and back home so I would not be late for work.  But as I crossed Magazine, I noticed one of my favorite new additions to New Orleans -- The Brigade Coffee food truck.  Why do I like it so much?  It combines two of my passions in life, coffee and cars!  They converted an old Citroen H Van from WWII, and it looks great!  Check them out here.  

As I was returning home, thoroughly sweating at this point, I could not keep my earbuds from falling out.  So I have purchased a new pair of running earphones.  I'll do an unboxing/review of them when they are delivered.  Do you have a preferred pair of running headphones?  Speak up in the comments!  

See you on the road!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed both the commentary and the pictures, especially the one of a tired but happy Beau.

    ReplyDelete