Friday, August 3, 2012

City Park and memories

I come from a running family. Growing up, I would spend Sunday mornings at the NOTC races with my dad. Somehow, I turned out to not be half bad. I even got a plaque one year for being one of the best in my age group. Apparently I hit my running prime at age twelve. However, my fondest running memory from my childhood doesn't even involve me running. My dad used to do ultra runs. When you run these extreme distances, you have to train your body to fight through staying awake and staying in motion all night. In order to do this, Fridays after work, he would go to city park and start running laps around Roosevelt Mall from 7:00 PM until 7:00 AM. I would come out with my sister and have a picnic watching my dad run. As a kid, the whole premise was crazy to me. Last night, I was with my friend Jim and decided to get in a quick run, and I knew exactly where I wanted to go. Here is the route.

View 8/2/2012 run in a larger map


Sorry the map is choppier than the ones I have been posting. I forgot to end my running app and it kept recording overnight and all the way to work in Baton Rouge this morning. Oops. The weather last night was the best I have run in all week. The roads and sidewalks here were all flat and easy on my feet. A little bit about the city park, and Roosevelt Mall in particular. During the Great Depression, in order to create jobs and stimulate the economy, the Works Progress Administration was created. These jobs included civic construction and engineering jobs. If you go to City Park today, you can see the WPA everywhere. The eagle statues lining the Mall are by far my favorite. Let me know in the comments what you consider to be your favorite feature of City Park!


See you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment