Thursday, August 9, 2012

Rest day catch up, and how to stretch

As I have stated, today has been a rest day.  The saints are playing and that is a cause to celebrate.  I had a running buddy over for some BBQ and beers.   Not to bore you with the beers, they were good.

Tonight I want to discuss something that has been on my mind.  Stretching.  Stretching is something many beginners know is something they should be doing but are sometimes confused as to proper techniques for running.  To be honest, this is a skill that I have never really learned.  Up to this point, I have been stretching very minimally.  So I have looked to the internet to answer my question.  How should runners be stretching? It seems that there is much debate on the subject.  I have always believed that simple static stretching was sufficient.  Some people argue that no stretching is necessary, while others insist that dynamic stretching is the only way to go.  I'm no expert, so I went to the source.  Runners World Magazine is a great source of information for the running community.  It seems that dynamic stretching is the accepted standard for runners.  Check out their stretch routine here.  Going forward, I will be utilizing this guide to stretching. Let me know how you prepare for a run in the comments below!

See you on the Road! 

No comments:

Post a Comment